OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Insane Ramblings of an Open Source Activist!
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 9:42 pm 

I love open source. It's so great... If I need some software, the first place I look is SourceForge. So far, I haven't been unhappy with stuff I've gotten. The newest program I've gotten is PokerTH, a single-player poker (texas holdem) game that actually works well and looks nice! Best part is, they are putting network support into it now :D

Then, I find out that to build it myself I have to get Qt, which is NOT free unless it's for open source purposes :D

Now, can anyone out there tell me any other good open source software packages (for Windows) that can save me heaps of money? Who knows, I might find something I never knew I needed (a virtual flowerpot?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 12:39 am 

You are confusing OpenSource with freeware.

Answer these two question for yourself, and be honest:

- have you ever made a code review, or read some other's code review, before employing OpenSource software?

- would it really matter to you, from a technical (not ethical / moral) standpoint, if you would get a ready-to-run binary instead of source?

Back in Amiga times, the AmiNet was a premium resource for games, tools, applications, sampler music and more. No-one cared much that you didn't always get the source.

The problem today is that there is no "freeware" community to speak of anymore, which allowed the "OpenSource activists" to polarize between OpenSource ("good") and the rest of the world ("bad")...

Last edited by Solar on Tue May 29, 2007 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 12:48 am 

Solar wrote:

- have you ever made a code review, or read some other's code review, before employing OpenSource software?

- would it really matter to you, from a technical (not ethical / moral) standpoint, if you would get a ready-to-run binary instead of source?

Well, no for the first, and no for the second.

Ok, so that makes me a freeware activist...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 3:54 pm 

I must admit that I try to get the stuff I want for free whenever I can. Even so, I can understand why somebody quite keen on having food in their stomach might want you to pay it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 3:35 am 

I do like getting source if I like the binary.

But being a Windows user, it's often more convenient to get a binary...

And I don't mind some advertising if the developer is getting paid (I'd do the same).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 11:33 am 

Solar wrote:
You are confusing OpenSource with freeware.

Back in Amiga times, the AmiNet was a premium resource for games, tools, applications, sampler music and more. No-one cared much that you didn't always get the source.

The problem today is that there is no "freeware" community to speak of anymore, which allowed the "OpenSource activists" to polarize between OpenSource ("good") and the rest of the world ("bad")...

I once had to hand-hack the source of a wireless-card driver to make it work with the knockoff POS my ISP gave me. I was glad for open source.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:03 am 

I for one will claim that having the source actually matters to me from a technical standpoint: when I hit a bug (and more often than not I do) having the source allows me to at least go and see if there's a trivial fix. Sometimes there is, sometimes there isn't. Sometimes it's too painful to fix, but having the source allows tracing the cause and working around it.

So there you got it: I actually do read other peoples source. Not necessarily before starting to use something, but rather after, when it doesn't quite do what I wanted.