OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Operating system choices
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:13 pm 

Administrators... if a this starts a flame war, please lock it ASAP.
<rant>
So, there have been a bunch of posts recently that have erupted into flame wars about what operating system is best for everybody. I'll admit, I tend to defend Linux, Brynet, Inc. defends BSD, and nobody switches operating systems as a result.

Ermmm... except me. I chose linux, because there was LESS evangelism from its members than from the BSD members (or, that's what I saw when I started. I was almost definitely wrong). Still, Brynet, Inc has discouraged be from ever trying BSD.

Finally, every OS sucks. If one didn't, why would we be creating operating systems? Currently, it's a matter of which OS sucks least.
</rant>

Thank you.

Post subject: Re: Operating system choices
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:15 pm 

TheQuux wrote:
Finally, every OS sucks. If one didn't, why would we be creating operating systems?

Because it's fun? (Especially when you finally get something to work :wink:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:09 pm 

I do not think its a case of which OS is best, but more case of PC are too important to the world, to let the main OS be a monoply.
There is no other example where one company has show such a big profit in a market and yet has no compation, this just does not happen, as we all have differant tastes, so one will never fit all, take cars has a example.
This shows that the market is setup.
But on the other hand i am a linux user, but they do not only ***** about BSD and windows, but also about any other distro they are not using.

The reason i am making a OS is that i thought it would be a cool project and i set myself a task, of a useably OS, i did not understand the big task involved even in my simple design, but once i start something i finish it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:52 pm 

Location: On the balcony, where I can actually keep 1½m distance
Once there was a time when i was able to write a program that could set virtually any resolution imagineable. DOS ruled.

Well, i started OSdeving since DOS got kicked by Windows XP and '98 stopped working properly on newer systems, and i needed some sort of outlet for my crazy ideas.

And IMO the current set of OSes is way too conservative about trying new things. And then it doesnt matter wether you use windows or linux, its all some form of doctrine.

But then again, its all like the Matrix: "People become so dependent on the system that they are willing to fight for it"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:13 pm 

OS evangilism is a little silly.

I use a mixture of FreeBSD, Linux and others. It's more of a case of the right tool for the job. Sure, all these operating systems can be made to serve most purposes, but I am lazy and so I use the one that is less work.

Free Software evangelism is different IMHO, freedom of ideas, freedom from copyright and the idea of a communal pool of knowledge that everyone is free to access whatever their social stature or wealth may be is I think noble.

I think this is where the problem is, people mistake the ideas behind the Operating System with the OS itself.

It's a little like some religion I think, the ideas are the same, it's the same god, but the various interpretations seem to squabble amoungst themselves.

Did that make sense? Did I offend anyone?

Andrew

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:56 am 

Wow, I'm shocked! "Every OS sucks" wasn't taken as an attack on anybody!

Anyway, the "Why write an OS" was somewhat rhetorical. Oh, and I agree, I'm lazy to a fault (is it possible to be lazy and have it not be a fault?), so I use whatever is convenient, whether that's Linux, Windows, QNX, or Xenon. (yes, Xenon has been convenient... I needed to do direct hardware access, and rather than write a Linux driver...)

It's good to know that I'm not the only one who thinks OS evangelism (or any specific software, for that matter) is silly, tho. Unless you wrote the software... or I did :lol:

Post subject: Re: Operating system choices
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:03 am 

TheQuux wrote:
Finally, every OS sucks. If one didn't, why would we be creating operating systems? Currently, it's a matter of which OS sucks least.

I couldn't agree more. Give me an OS as easy and efficient as AmigaOS, as well-supported as Windows (commercially) and Linux (free soft), and I'd be a happy camper. Won't happen though, so we bear with the shortcomings of whatever floats our boat. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:15 am 

TheQuux wrote:
It's good to know that I'm not the only one who thinks OS evangelism (or any specific software, for that matter) is silly, tho. Unless you wrote the software... or I did :lol:

Evangelism in general seems to be abundant in the PC world - Intel vs. AMD, NVIDIA vs. ATI (of course, now AMD too!), Linux vs. Windows, C vs. ASM vs. .NET.........

Of course, most of it is the purchase justification reflex. IMHO, if you are developing an OS it's not a bad idea to try every other OS you can lay your hands on to see how others have done things in the past - mainly so you know what to avoid in your version :)

But then, who am I to talk - i still go for the Windows Command prompt and type 'Edit' every time I need to write a batch file! :oops:

Adam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:21 am 

AJ wrote:
I still go for the Windows Command prompt and type 'Edit' every time I need to write a batch file! :oops:

I actually had to try that out to realize what you were referring to. You are a sick, sick man. :D

Last edited by Solar on Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:43 am 

In every current operating system, the user interface is horrible. Well, plan9 from bell labs has ALMOST got it right! But they still use C. :( Even they have fixed and patched it up quite good thought.

Give me an operating system which is the most optimal to make optimal on that specific platform and I'll be happy. (unfortunately linux STILL sucks a lot in this)

Basically I've developed hate against every OS I've used:
I hate DOS
I hate windows 95
I hate windows 95 NT 4
I hate windows 2000 professional
I hate windows XP professional and home
I hate gentoo
I hate debian linux distribution
I hate ubuntu with(and) XFCE4

That may tell something either from operating systems or me. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:08 am 

Quote:
Well, plan9 from bell labs has ALMOST got it right!

I must say I agree with this part, I really like how rio does window management in plan 9. Acme is pretty cool too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:29 am 

Cheery wrote:
I hate DOS
I hate windows 95
I hate windows 95 NT 4
I hate windows 2000 professional
I hate windows XP professional and home
I hate gentoo
I hate debian linux distribution
I hate ubuntu with(and) XFCE4

At least you treat them all with equal contempt - no one can accuse you of being OSist :lol:

Solar wrote:
I actually had to try that out to realize what you were referring to. You are a sick, sick man. :D

I know. It's a hang-over from the days of DOS programming, which is where I started out. Maybe I need to be dragged kicking and screaming in to the 80's :roll: . What's one of these new fangled 'mouse' things, anyway... :D

Cheers,
Adam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:49 am 

AJ wrote:
At least you treat them all with equal contempt - no one can accuse you of being OSist :lol:

Take that list and add SuSE / RedHat Linux, Solaris, FreeBSD, NetBSD, and WinCE. I've come a long way since I left AmigaOS / DirOpus in search for office apps, up-to-date games and a decent price / performance ratio. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:41 am 

Solar wrote:
I've come a long way since I left AmigaOS / DirOpus in search for office apps, up-to-date games and a decent price / performance ratio. 8)

If you're looking for an OS that does all that, has anyone ever suggested creating an OSDev.org community OS?

I mean, we're all OS programmers, some people obviously know what they are doing and we're all working on our own projects (I'm not suggesting an end to that!). Wouldn't it be a good idea to pool resources and create an OS using the best bits, combine them with some decent CVS tracking it all and just work on it as and when we can spare the time :?:

Apologies if this idea has already surfaced in the past. Obviously I understand that getting people to agree on the direction of the OS may take a little work :?

Adam