OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 11:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re:OS Dev Board moving!!!
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:00 pm 
Yeah, I think the "experiment" was good. I mean, it went much more smoothly than what one would have expected, especially from apparently new codebase.

I'm happy to give it another shot in the future, even if it means losing some of the community here (yes, I'm going to miss the mixed stuff in General Programming and Off-topic). Maybe I'll be visiting here for the remaining boards at times anyway...

I don't think forum software is so important. As long as it provides "sufficient" markup (italic, quotes, code and links are the minimum set for me, underline, bold and monospace are nice as well... wonder if anybody ever bothered with the table support here?) and other features (PREVIEW!!) I'm fine with almost anything. In addition to this board, I use other boards with other software quite regularly, and while the blue color here gives a warm fuzzy feeling inside, I could live without it...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:32 am 
I wasn't aware the owner of this forum was having difficulties maintaining the forum.

Although its only been a few months I've been in this forum which I'm basically only active is the OS boards, I'm unsure of the change, not because I'm just don't want too, I'm unsure if that means loosing what was here. Everyone probably knows its quite hard to find a forum as nice as this one for OS developement.

Mystran: In my opinion the look and feel has a quite significant importants, just as important as how you place your furniture in your house and what color you painted your walls. These little things is what I also look for to settle in and try and establish a better community. I for one cannot stand an unorganised forum, especially if your going to be rambling about technical things. It had cross my mind if I should start finding another forum. The little'st thing may be insignficant to one, but more significant to another, because were all differn't as the moving change would only mean, a chance to loose people from either boards, and thats what worries me.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:39 am 
Is it currently disabled? I still cannot post/reply/login. Firefox or Internet Explorer.
Also, just a few suggestions: Non-animated smilies (Or at least keep an animation to a minimum, like the ::) here). Open links in a new window (maybe preference for this?). And try to parse UBB code like HTML: Base what it is solely on the first space-terminated ID and the rest is parsed or ignored depending on what you support (would fix a lot of errors in UBB-code appearing as normal text in the move-over as I currently see it).
And try to minimize the javascript? :)

Thanks

*edit*
Actually, I can be logged in for one page view if I hit "login" about 3-4 times in a row. Next click for a page (eg. profile) logs me out. I'd start by adding an "expires" header to all the stuff that changes often. Actually, everything, considering things will differ if you're logged in or not :).
HTTP Header for no-cache:
"Cache-Control: no-cache, must-revalidate; Pragma: no-cache"

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:04 am 

I have been trying to move the forum for a long time (and ive had lots of offers to rehost it). The idea was to merge two communities. The forum content with osdevers non forum content, making one nice unified community. I have been waiting for this to happen at others sites (chase's osdev.com never got off the ground really) and it never happened. I also dont want to loose any of the forum content. Merging with osdever.net was the most logical choice. I dont want to move the forum to where its a separate forum again, a non osdev integrated site.

Had the transition been smooth, nobody would have complained probably, and we would have the best of both worlds. ;D

And yes, we want to migrate the FAQ as well to osdever.net at some point, but thats a time will tell question right now.

As for splitting the community?? I hadnt realised many AGI game devs were OS dev folks.. This board started primarily as OS dev, and later I added the AGI board while I was working on the emulator... I had planned to retain the agi/sci boards but if there are others as Cloudee pointed out, then I guess I dont need to retain them.

Bandwidth and space are fine right now. Whats not fine is time, and hasnt been for several years. I dont have time to check the board everyday and make sure its running. Yes there are admins, but they can only do so much. It was lucky the osfaq spam came to my attention as right after my wifes grandfather went into critical care and I have not been near the computer since I despammed the wiki.

I dont care if the forums stay here for another 10 years, but there just wont be a turnaround time on fixing anything if something breaks (like last time my provider magically updated all the software and I went from php4.0.6 to php4.4something).

Next time we do the osdev forum transition will be seamless. The data migrated without trouble and it was mostly some cosmetic stuff. 8)