OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 6:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: bochs and mp tables
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:27 am 

Been a while since I have been here..

I am having a problem with the mp tables from bochs and locating the PCI busses. When I boot my os and have it print the busses it from the mp tables it says it only finds 1 ISA bus, but I have configured all the pci support for bochs.

My options during ./configure were:

"--enable-smp --enable-apic --enable-ne2000 --enable-acpi --enable-pci --enable-pnic --enable-usb --enable-large-pages --enable-pae --enable-mtrr --enable-show-ips --enable-debugger --enable-disasm --enable-readline --enable-logging --enable-x86-debugger --with-x11"

and my config file I boot with is:
"
megs: 64
romimage: file="/home/blound/os32/bochs-build/share/bochs/BIOS-bochs-latest"
vgaromimage: file="/home/blound/os32/bochs-build/share/bochs/VGABIOS-elpin-2.40"
floppya: 1_44=/dev/loop0, status=inserted
boot: a
log: bochsout.txt
mouse: enabled=0
clock: sync=realtime
cpu: count=2, ips=700000
panic: action=ask
error: action=report
info: action=report
debug: action=ignore
pass: action=fatal
i440fxsupport: enabled=1, slot1=pcivga, slot2=ne2k
ne2k: enabled=1, ioaddr=0x300, irq=9, mac=b0:c4:20:aa:bb:cc, ethmod=linux, ethdev=wlan0
usb1: enabled=1, port1=mouse, port2=keypad
"

is there no way to get bochs to populate the mp tables with info about the pci busses? or am I missing something I need to do with bochs to get it to use pci?

Post subject: Re: bochs and mp tables
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:28 pm 

I don't know about the MP tables, but I was able to scan the PCI buses after I recompiled Bochs. I passed --enable-pci to the configure script, and PCI worked as expected.

On the other hand, I was only able to locate devices on PCI bus zero only. Although the scan indicated a PCI->PCI (or PCI->AGP) bridge, I was not able to scan it. I presume the emulated PCI graphics card would be located there, but I might be doing something the wrong way.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:14 pm 

I believe the "--enable-pcidev" option allows for devices found by Linux to be used in the emulation environment... I think.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:45 pm 

Hi,

blound wrote:
I am having a problem with the mp tables from bochs and locating the PCI busses.

I took a look at the source code that generates the MP specification tables (in the Bochs BIOS), and it'll only ever generate one entry for one ISA bus, and that ISA bus will be "bus_ID = 0" (where "bus_ID = 0" is always the first PCI bus in PCI systems).

That only gives you 2 choices - write a patch for the Bochs BIOS to correct it's MP tables, or modify your OS so that it scans PCI buses itself instead of getting this information from the MP specification tables.

To be honest, you probably should scan the PCI buses yourself anyway, because it's possible for real computers to have no MP tables (either because they don't support multi-CPU or because they support ACPI only).

Cheers,

Brendan

For all things; perfection is, and will always remain, impossible to achieve in practice. However; by striving for perfection we create things that are as perfect as practically possible. Let the pursuit of perfection be our guide.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:55 pm 

Brendan wrote:
Hi,

blound wrote:
I am having a problem with the mp tables from bochs and locating the PCI busses.

I took a look at the source code that generates the MP specification tables (in the Bochs BIOS), and it'll only ever generate one entry for one ISA bus, and that ISA bus will be "bus_ID = 0" (where "bus_ID = 0" is always the first PCI bus in PCI systems).

That only gives you 2 choices - write a patch for the Bochs BIOS to correct it's MP tables, or modify your OS so that it scans PCI buses itself instead of getting this information from the MP specification tables.

To be honest, you probably should scan the PCI buses yourself anyway, because it's possible for real computers to have no MP tables (either because they don't support multi-CPU or because they support ACPI only).

Cheers,

Brendan

thanks for the replies. I will just have it scan the pci buses for the info.