OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 1:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: integerating Linux file system with my OS
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 11:47 am 

i want to use unbuntus file system for my mini operating system i don't want to go all the crazy stuffs of creating file system cos i don't have that much enough time. my OS kernel is bin formated i be able to boot my OS by puting the kernel.bin file under ubuntus /boot/ i want all the steps to intergrate unbuts file system with my bin formated kernel.
thanks

Post subject: Re: integerating Linux file system with my OS
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 12:10 pm 

wonde wrote:
i want to use unbuntus file system for my mini operating system i don't want to go all the crazy stuffs of creating file system cos i don't have that much enough time. my OS kernel is bin formated i be able to boot my OS by puting the kernel.bin file under ubuntus /boot/ i want all the steps to intergrate unbuts file system with my bin formated kernel.
thanks

You dont want to alle the "crazy stuffs" of creating filesystems? Don't have enough time? Under that conditions, you can't use a Linux filesystem.

There is no such thing as an Ubuntu filesystem. Ubuntu is one of many Linux distro's. Most important filesystems under Linux are ext2, ext3 and reiserfs. You need to choose one of them. About ext2 is de most documentation. It are filesystems with manyfeatures.
If you don't have much time and you are new with filesystems, begin with easier ones like fat12 or fat16.

Post subject: Re: integerating Linux file system with my OS
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 1:13 pm 

wonde wrote:
I would like to use Ubuntu's file system in my mini operating system, but I don't want to go through the difficulty of creating a file system because I don't have much time. My operating system kernel is binary formatted. I am able to boot my OS by putting the kernel.bin file under Ubuntu's /boot/ directory. I would like all the steps to integrate Ubuntu's filesystem with my bin formatted kernel. Thanks.

OK, so I rephrased your post a bit to make it sound like you actually spent more than 30 seconds of your obviously hectic schedule crafting it. Seriously, I expect and understand spelling mistakes by non English speakers, but spelling 'Ubuntu' differently three times is asking a bit much of my SPAG patience.

Please indulge me by letting me paraphrase even more;

Quote:
I want to do X. I don't want to do Y, although I know that current implementations of X do Y, because I can't be bothered to put the time and effort in. I want all the steps to do X. Thanks.

Do you have any idea of just how rude that sounds? Garbage in, garbage out - I'm going to go away and do something that isn't helping you, and when I come back I wholly expect to see either no more posts in this topic, or a tirade of replies as unhelpful as mine.

I hope you understand why.

Cheers,

James

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 8:09 pm 

Sorry , again i takeback my words . I apologize for the post . I was very much sleep deprived . :oops: :oops:

Last edited by DeletedAccount on Thu May 29, 2008 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 6:24 am 

Location: On the balcony, where I can actually keep 1½m distance
Wisdom check started. If he gets back angry we know what happened :twisted:

Seriously, WARNING - above code can result in a non-functioning system don't try either unless you know what they do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 9:05 pm 

Booting your os from /boot is damn easy - as long as it follows the multiboot standard you can just whack it in there and add an entry to your grub menu.

As for implementing ext3 - I'd stay far, far away until you have a solid VFS can write drivers for fat12 and iso9660 easily. Oh, and you'll need an ATA driver. Maybe once you can do that (and it'll take months to years) you'll be able to tackle a journaling file system.